In October 1925 the Rt. Rev. Dr. Paul Perini administrator apostolic of the Mangalore diocese allowed the Rev, Fr Emanuel Rebello , the parish priest of Kirem to build a small chapel dedicated to St Theresa of the child Jesus and school in his personal property at Niddodi and to have a Sunday mass therefore the convenience of the two distant villages of Agre and Niddodi of the Kirem parish.
Day by day the devotion to St Theresa increased not only among the Catholics of the neighboring villages but also among the Hindus. Votive offerings began to increase and the chapel was too small for the Sunday congregation. In 1934 the Rev.Fr .E. M. Rebello extended the chapel and built a presbytery for a resident priest, mostly from his own personal funds.
On 19.12.1935 the Rev. Fr. E. M. Rebello handed over the whole property measuring 5acres of land with a chapel, presbytery and a school to the diocese of Mangalore in the name of his Excellency, the Bl. Rev. Dr. V. R. Fernandes, Bishops of Mangalore by a registered document with an obligation 1votiv feast office and Mass 52 low masses and candle per year from the proceeds of the votive offerings for the intentions of the donors the Rev.Fr. E. M. Rebello.
His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. V. R. Fernandes, Bishops of Mangalore by a decree dated 13.5.1937 erected the parish of Niddodi by handing over the two villages of Agre and Niddodi from the Kirem parish to Niddodi church and appointed the Rev.Fr. W. I Rebello the Parish Priest Niddodi who took charge of the parish on Pentecost day,16.5.1937 and continued v to be the vicar of the parish till 26.10.1938.During his regime the parish school building was extended and tower for the church was built .He acquired a Darakasth lad measuring nearly 3acres . He started altar boys sodality. On 26.10.1938 he handed over the charge at Kirem Rev.Fr .G.W. Menezs, then the vicar of Kirem parish.
On 29.10.1938 the Rev. Fr. S. M. Saldanha took charge of Niddodi parish from very Rev. Fr. G. W. Menezs he continued to be the vicar till 29.5.1952. He during this period as vicar did many improvement namely repairing of the Church Altar, Building the communion Railings. Starting the Apostleship of prayer. He increased the income of the Church be enhancing the rent of the tenants of the Church. Some of the furniture and essential things were supplied to the presbytery. He improved the Church fund and was fixed deposit of more than four thousand rupees in the Bank at the time of his transfer.
On 29/05/1952 he handed over the charge to Rev Fr. P.D. G. Rego the parish Priest of Kirem and on 26/06/ 52 very Rev Fr. G. W. Menezes was appointed the parish priest of Niddodi. The very Rev. Fr. G. W. Menezes took charge of Parish from P. D. G. Rego the Parish priest of Kirem and began the improvement of the Church. First he began the flouring work of the Church building with concrete and then erected a shrine in honor of St. Theresa for the convenience of the devoted public. He began the work of leveling work of the ground in front of the Church. Some grafted mango plants were planted in the Church compound and thus improved the Church garden. He started the sodality of the children of Mary. Unfortunately the parishioners of Niddodi could have among them their beloved vicar as the Almighty Father was pleased to take him back to his heavenly kingdom for eternal happiness on 07/02/1954 may his soul rest in peace.
According to the order dated 8.2.54 of the Coadjutor Bishop of Mangalore the Rev. Fr. A. P. Souza, the present Parish priest was appointed as the vicar Economies to parish of Niddodi. The present vicar began with right earnest the improvements of the parish both spiritually and materially. It is during his time the Bishops canonically erected the sodality of the children of Mary on 3.7.54.the Lourdes Sodality which was started a few month ago was also erected canonically by the Bishop on 3.7.54.the Rev.Fr A.P. Souza improved the Boys sodality which was dormant. A mission was given to the Parishioners by Rev Fr. M. F. C. Castilino and that was the First time in the History of the Parish. The present Vicar not only made several improvements regarding the Church matters but also pays special attention to the education of the Parish Children. He made some improvements in the school. It was due to the efforts of Rev Fr A.P. D’Souza that the Church could have a Baptistery. He continued the work of leveling the Church ground and made some necessary improvements pertaining to the Church and Presbytery. The Church released a Mulgani plot having a tiled building with a net cost of Rs 1500/- and the repairing work of the building and compound is going on. The devotion to Little Flower of Child Jesus is day by day increasing and the Church is flocked by people of the neighboring parishes. The strength of the school has increase and the total no. on Roll is – 105+ 78= 183. The population of the Parish is – 1346.
Improvements effected in the Parish since 6-6-1954.
Spiritual: 1. Altar boys Sodality revived and improved.
Church; 1.Except the main pastime of the church, (the nave) the rest of the church, including the outer verandahs was floored with R.C cement.
(e) One Tabernacle veil, one black chasuble, one black stole, one stole supplied (.f) Throne for the exposition prepared. (g) Two humeral veils.h) Two cruets and thurible brought.(i)One clock luneghte. (j) Two new conferinals .(k) 24 Altar boys carrocks &coats and 25 ribbons prepared besides one almyrah for keeping them .(L) Four shade lamps ,one dozen flower vases.(m)One new almyrah for church use and wooden box supplied .(n) Two missals and Hebdomadae books.(o)Two Altar stones brought .(p)stand for gin &siriyaris .
(q)one coffin.(r)one Lavabo vessel.(s)one small shalf, for amices.(t)Four chairs (3 cushined & one rattan) supplied
Cemetery: The old cemetery was widened and all clearing done. Gate for the cemetery put up, and the cemetery walled up on three sides. On the eastern side a pukka stone wall put up, big laterite cross in the center on the southern side. The Cemetery has been partitioned in to 4 classes and a path way erected right up across in the middle.
School: The entire school has been refitted and repaired and all the repairs and several rafters replaced. The foot path leading to the school repaired and strengthened. The western side of the school has been cemented and the wall on the same side plastered up entirely and white washed. Other repairs effected re beams. The school has been provided with a permanent stage, ground and also provided with a garden which is enclosed and has a gate. All furniture of the school has been provided in its entirety with various articles, as black boards, tables, chairs, benches, almyrahs, stands newly prepared. That is provided for partitioning the classes. A separate up to date latrine wish 4 partitions provided for Girls.
Presbytery House; The ground around the church and Presbytery has been partitioned into 5 yards. the ground all around which was a slope of a hill having been leveled down .one separated guest room has been prepared and separated room for wash .During room has been partitioned and all the verandahs ,bath rooms lavatories cement floored and cleaned up . the entire compound improved by planting fruit-growing trees and other ones useful for timber as teak etc. the house provided with five tables and a few chairs and coats with bedding ,pillows ,coverlets ,bed-sheets ,towels ,napkins ,table clothes, plates, cups saucers knives ,spoons and forks .the kitchen is furnished with all the copper vessels ,pots and other necessary utensils .
The RC Rev Dr R. D `Mello ,Bishop of Mangalore came here for pastoral visit along with his secretary an 31.01.60 at 4.30pm . He was received at the gate by the parish priest and the neighboring priest and by a large number of parishioners’ .on 1.2.1960 Bishop said mass and preached during the mass. After the mass he confirmed 212 children. After the conformation Bishop examined the children in catechism and gave prize to the children for best answer. After the catechism examination different unites and gurkars were persecuted to the Bishop. After having from every unit Bishop gave a brief exhortation to them all.
In canonical visit report says ; that the commentary is remodeled very satisfactorily ; that efforts are made to come more attendants for daily mass ; the order disciplines and silence in the church is very well mentioned and leaders are trained to lead prayers ;that are the directives of the previous visit have been carried out ;that the parish priest is very zealous effected all –round
Improvement in spite of his old age and indifferent health; that the various sodalities and confraternities’ are doing good work and give every assistance to the parish priest; that the church and the compound are kept clean neat ;that the gurkars are very cooperative in all the under takings of the parish priest ;that the feast are well organized and active ; that the parish priest deserves real encouragement.
Before leaving the church, Bishop visited the school .the staff and children entertained the Bishop .after that Bishop visited different classes. Encouraging notes were put by the Bishops in the visitors report book. At about 5.pm .Bishop left the place and was given a sendoff.
On 25.2.1960 .church completed 25 years since it was canonically erected a full pledged parish .on this occasion the silver jubilee was celebrated fraud scale .Rt. Rev. R.D’ Mello Bishop of Mangalore saug the the pontifical things mass for the occasion and Rev .Fr Jacob lobo preached an instructive sermon ,during the mass giving briefly the history of the parish and services rendered by different parish priest in the interest of the church ,especially by the present parish priest ,Rev.Fr.A.P. D’souza .though old ,a zealous priest .Besides the Bishop there were almost 20 guest priest ,and some seminarians .about 400 peoples from the parish and outside prisoners attended the celebration . Group photos oof different units ,of the peoples present ,along with Bishop, parish priest and some guest priest were taken souvenir pictures of the jubilee ,of shevesa of infant Jesus were printed and distributed to the people .In the evening there was variety entertainment, Presided over by the Bishop of Mangalore ,beside there were dramas -eÉ£É«ªï in kannada , zsÀÄ£ÀðqÀvÉAiÀÄ ¥sÀ® in tulu and comic dance in Konkani, crowd was very happy a sudden name brought the entertainment to a close ,but were held again after about 8 days .with expectation of entertainment in the evening due to rain all the other functions were a splendid success.
In the month of February and march 1961 the roofs of the church ,church pendal and presbytery especially the portion of veranda were repaired and good many rafters and repairs which were in bad condition were renewed and repaired at the cost of about Rs 700/-
On the northern side of the church compound to new pillars are built and new wooden gate was prepared and fixed up ;on the southern side a good portion of the compound walled up with statues and cemented the top and bottom from the main gate .the total cost for their work cause to about Rs 1500/- . A few new things were added both to the church and presbytery;
To the church: – a set of mass redVestments costing Rs40/-
A set of white mass Vestments costing Rs 50/-
One gas light (patermax) costing Rs 55/-
Donated by Mrs George John pinto ornish one arm chair costing Rs26/- donated by N.N.
Oil cloth to be used during season for coffins.
A Box (wooden) for candles costing Rs.34.10.
An umbrella for the Blessed Sacrament casing Rs.50/- Donated by Justine Lobo Bandralke .
To the Presbytery: A New wooden almeiarha for the dinning roof for crockery, costing Rs.90/-
The school had no sufficient playground. Close to the school there was a hills. Which was leveled and converted into a playground as the cost of Rs.250/. Many new things, furniture too are added to the school. The annual drama was staged by the Niddody church Nataka Sabha on 12.2.1961. This five dramas were “Pancretive martys in Konkani. Erè ¥ÁvÉæ In tulu and Ramesh and Dismiss Balu in Kannada, presided over by Rev.Fr.V.G.Rego. Bsc.B.T. Headmistre Paduva High School. It was a fraud success, and was attended by a large number of people both catholics and hindues. One urinal near the school for school children boys was built with stones with cement mortar and with cementplastering with pit behind .the work was completed in September 1961 .the total cost was Rs 6000/- (six thousand Rupees)
The boundary wall for the church compound, which was not completed on the southern side was completed with the top and the bottom of the wall was cemented .the total cost cause to Rs 500/- .the work was completed in December 1961. The roof of the church which was not done last time was repaired this time in December 1961 .Good many rafters and repairs were renewed.
A new altar on the right side of the main altar in the church was built with and a new statue of the Sacred Heart is placed. The total cost for the building the altar and setting statue of the sacred Heart was Rs 400/- which was donated by Mrs. .Joseph vas of Agre village of Niddodi parish.
The side altar on the right side of the main altar in the church was dismantled and was built in a such a way which is visible to the people .the statue of our Lady of Dolorous which was existing before was repainted and placed on the altar .the whole altar and the walls renewed .the altar was painted for expenses the women of the parish contributed a portion and rest was
Subscribed by the parish priest and out siders the total cost was Rs 500/- .this altar was being used as altar repose on Mundey Thursday .A new Tabernacle has been brought ,donated by Mrs. D’Souza Bakrabettu costing Rs125/- and placed on the altar .
The main altar was reshaped. The rich in which the statue of St Theresa was placed is closed now and instead a concrete stand has been fixed with angel below on which the statue has been placed. the whole altar including the statue and the walls and pillars round the altar has been painted .a picture of the Holy Trinity has been painted on the wall above the statues .the small statues near the main altar ,of St Joseph and Francis were also painted .the total cost for the work was Rs400/- .This amount was contributed by the men of the parish ,parish priest and outsiders and the next by the church.
To be continued…
Number of viewers: 501